English for IT Exam
The Communication Skills for Business (CSB) English for IT exam validates a candidate’s ability to work in an IT setting or in an entry-level IT job using English. It tests knowledge of English competence in an IT-related environment, and also measures:
- Listening - A skilled listener can hear between the lines and help people work through questions, issues and problems related to information technology projects.
- Reading – Whether it’s understanding a client’s specifications, or searching for a solution to a problem online, it is essential to be able to read in English at a high level.
- Use of English - Use of English refers to the conventional ways in which words or phrases are used, spoken or written in an IT-related environment.
The CSB English for IT exam uses scenario-based reading, selected-response, and audio questions. This is a 90-minute exam with approximately 60 questions. An individual preparing to take this exam should have approximately 150 hours of instruction and/or hands-on experience in English competence in an IT-related environment.
The English for IT exam is a great tool for a wide range of candidates, not just those with an interest in the fields of information technology. In fact, any person who needs to work with the IT, either with IT specialists such as programmers or network administrators, needs to be able to communicate effectively with those people. Even a person who simply uses a computer in their work will benefit from increased versatility in their English proficiency and IT terminology. The exam is geared toward the following non-native English speaking target audiences:
- late-stage K12 and Higher Education students and IT professionals early in their careers
- software developers, network engineers, security engineers, product managers and IT support who want to work in an international, multicultural environment
- IT specialists who want to start working in multinational or English-speaking companies
- non-IT employees working in the IT sector
The targeted proficiency level for candidates taking this exam is B2 in the CEFR and 59-75 in the Global Scale of English. To prepare for the English for IT certification, candidates have access to practice tests, as well as an entire learning course dedicated to the English for IT certification, which covers everything in the exam. The Exam Objectives form the basis for the learning materials, practice tests and the certification exam, and they outline the level of knowledge a candidate needs in order to pass the English for IT exam.