Certiport announced earlier this year a new PMI certification, and it is finally here! The PMI Project Management Ready certification will introduce and familiarize high school and post-secondary students to the concepts and field of project management, and the tools to apply this knowledge to a wide range of career paths. It fills the need for an industry-recognized certification that allows career and technical education institutions to add value to their programs across career clusters.
Want to learn more about PMI and Certiport’s newest certification? We have put together an FAQ to answer your questions.
What is Project Management Institute (PMI)?
Project Management Institute® (PMI) is the world's leading association for those who consider project, program or portfolio management their profession. Through global advocacy, collaboration, education and research, they work to prepare more than three million professionals around the world for The Project Economy: the coming economy in which work and individuals are organized around projects.
Why create the PMI Project Management Ready certification?
The PMI Project Management Ready™ certification is a new way for students to immerse themselves in the project management industry and get involved with this passionate community of professionals. This is an entry level certification that does not require any prior work experience in project management and/or may not have the minimal educational hours needed to take the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® exam.
What topics are covered in the certification?
The certification covers four main topics:
- Project Management Fundamentals and Core Concepts
- Business Analysis Framework
- Traditional Plan-Based Methodologies
- Agile Methodologies
PMI Project Management Ready can give students exposure to the concepts and field of project management, and the tools to apply this knowledge to a wide range of career paths.
What are the benefits of certifying?
- Everyone completes projects and can benefit from project management skills. This new certification allows students interested in project management to learn more about the field while they’re still in high school.
- Earning a professional credential gives students a competitive edge as it demonstrates their knowledge and competencies.
- Earning a credential prior to graduation also gives students this competitive edge as they transition to postsecondary education, internships opportunity, the military, or employment.
PMI Project Management Ready fills the need for an industry-recognized certification that allows career and technical education institutions to add value to their programs.
What are the prerequisites to certifying?
To succeed, candidates will need basic knowledge and skills for the topics below:
- Fundamental Core Concepts of Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Traditional Project Management Methodology
- Agile Project Management Methodology
- Seventh grade reading level
- Fundamental computer literacy
- Ability to participate in training and exams
Is there courseware available for PMI Project Management Ready?
Yes, there is! It is available now for purchase.
PMI created the curriculum for the PMI Project Management Ready certification. The learning content is designed to help educators introduce and engage with concepts that will prepare learners for the certification exam. The learning content is broken down into four different modules and was designed for flexible integration into the classroom.
Get more details on the learning content available for PMI here.
Are there practice tests available for PMI Project Management Ready?
Practice tests will be available early 2021. Details will be released once the practice tests are available.
If you have additional questions about the PMI Project Management Ready certification, please reach out to your Certiport Territory Manager or visit www.certiport.com/pmi.