As of August 1, 2023, 23 U.S. states require a semester-long personal finance course for high school graduation, empowering young people with valuable financial literacy knowledge and setting them up for a better financial future. This transformation in the educational landscape marks a significant milestone. The shift toward prioritizing financial literacy education is not just a matter of statistics; it is proof that financial well-being is an essential skill that can greatly impact an individual’s quality of life.
With the new Intuit Personal Finance certification, you can teach your students these crucial skills and empower them with an industry-recognized credential.
What is the Intuit Personal Finance certification?
The Intuit Personal Finance certification exam is designed to bridge the finance knowledge gap, empowering students as they make pivotal financial decisions that will shape their futures. The certification aligns with the national financial literacy standards of the Council for Economic Education (CEE) and the Jump$tart coalition. It validates candidates’ foundational knowledge of personal finance.
It is a 50-minute exam with approximately 40 questions. Individuals pursuing this certification should demonstrate a solid understanding of key personal finance concepts, including budgeting, savings strategies, and risk management. The exam is based on the U.S. financial system.
Why create the Intuit Personal Finance certification?
A recent survey from Greenlight found that 75% of teenagers lack confidence when it comes to personal finance. But it’s not just teens who are concerned about their financial literacy and knowledge. According to the 2023 report “The Financial Literacy Crisis in America”, 72% of U.S. adults said they would be “further ahead with their money today if they had a personal finance class in high school” and 88% of adults said high school did not leave them “fully prepared” for how to handle money in the real world.
The lack of financial literacy is costing the U.S. population: according to a survey by the National Financial Educators Council (NFEC), survey respondents reported having lost on average $1,819 in 2022 due to a lack of knowledge about personal finance. That represents more than $436 billion for the entire United States! These data points demonstrate why financial education is a priority for educational institutions and states.
What topics are covered in the Intuit Personal Finance certification exam?
The Intuit Personal Finance certification covers six main topics, with coordinating sub-topics:
- Interpret the details of a pay stub
- Identify factors used when filing taxes
- Compare employment opportunities while considering factors of total compensation such as, benefits, wages vs. salary, commissions, bonuses, and entrepreneurial ventures
- Identify methods of payment including direct deposit, payroll card, and paycheck
- Determine the difference between earned and unearned income and related financial implications including, but not limited to, inheritance, lottery, and tips
- Identify how outside influences can affect spending including, but not limited to, cost-of-living index
- Identify economic effects on price
- Demonstrate budgeting skills
- Compare costs of major product purchases
- Identify short-term and long-term financial goals
- Identify features of consumer banking
- Compare features of account types
- Identify the relationship between risk and return such as, financial risk tolerance, financial risk pyramid, and diversification
- Compare different investment types including, but not limited to, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, Exchange Traded Funds, real estate, commodities, digital currency, and collectibles
- Identify investment costs and/or income types such as dividends, capital gains, and interest
- Compare different types of lending
- Identify ways of managing credit and credit scores
- Identify options for managing debt
- Identify types of insurance including auto, health/dental/vision, whole vs. term life, home/renters’, short-term and long-term disability, and accidental death and dismemberment
- Identify factors that impact the costs of insurance such as, premiums, deductibles, co-pays, and out-of-pocket maximums
- Identity fraud and/or consumer protection resources
You can see all the exam objectives here.
What are the benefits of certifying?
Personal finance education can shape the next generation of financially savvy individuals. It's a life-defining skill that even if taught in the classroom, has a ripple effect that extends far beyond. As students gain financial literacy and the confidence to make informed decisions, they become financially responsible citizens, capable of positively influencing their families and communities. They're equipped with the tools and confidence to navigate the complexities of the modern world.
What are the prerequisites to certifying?
Anyone preparing to take the Intuit Personal Finance certification should demonstrate a solid understanding of key personal finance concepts, including budgeting, savings strategies, and risk management. The proficiency level expected for the exam can be attained through learning and practice tests.
Is there courseware available for the Intuit Personal Finance certification?
Certiport has multiple curriculum partners to prepare your learners for the Intuit Personal Finance certification.
The Pointful Education course provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary to manage, save, and invest money in a rapidly changing world. Students will examine topics that will impact their financial future and ultimately help them be better prepared to navigate the complexities of a global economy.
Intuit for Education
The free Intuit Education platform aligns well with the Intuit Personal Finance certification and can be used in the classroom to get students excited about finances with a flexible, interactive curriculum that utilizes real-world tools.
The Personal Finance course provides students with the information they need to become financially literate as they move into adulthood. The course includes 75+ hours of curriculum across 13 units with useful real-world topics, like building credit, managing bank accounts, planning for investing, understanding taxes, and repaying loans.
CCI Learning – Available in Q1 2024
CCI Learning is a leader in the global EdTech space and specializes in an array of interactive courseware, certification guides (print and e-book), and learning resources for instructors and learners.
LearnKey – Available in March 2024
LearnKey video courseware enhances the learning experience and increases certification exam success. It provides self-paced on-demand video learning material for specific to the Intuit certification objectives. These expert learning solutions are easy to use, interactive, and help prepare students for certification success. With LearnKey curriculum, you can access video-based e-learning courseware, interactive labs, and prescriptive study guides.
Are there practice tests available for the Intuit Personal Finance certification?
Yes. We have partnered with CertPREP, powered by GMetrix, to provide practice exams that will prepare students for their Intuit Personal Finance certification exam. You can get more details about Intuit practice tests here.
Have additional questions about the Intuit Personal Finance certification? Reach out to your Certiport Territory Manager here.