Empower your student creators to tell their stories, share their visions, and validate their skills with Unity. Unity is the leading content-creation platform for AR/VR, real-time 3D, and mobile 2D. Unity is used by students and professionals around the world to create everything from games to movies, 3D models to VR simulations. According to a study by Burning Glass Technologies, Unity is one of the most in-demand tech skills and has one of the highest forecasted growth rates, at over 39% over the next two years. With Unity Certified User certification, you can empower your students with the skills and credentials they need to enter this fast-growing industry.
Find out all the details for the Unity Certified User certification program to see if it works for you and your students.
What is Unity Certified User certification program?
The Unity Certified User (UCU) certification is an entry-level credential that allow individuals to get started in interactive content creation for industries such as gaming, entertainment, automotive, AEC, and XR. Unity Certified User certification helps employers and institutions verify a candidate’s knowledge and skills using Unity technology to succeed in these industries. Whether it’s a desire to create games and apps or build new worlds in AR/VR, Unity Certified User certification is the place to start.
The UCU program is comprised of three separate certification exams:
- UCU Programmer Certification: This exam covers the basics of C# programming within Unity software to create interactivity in games, apps, AR/VR, and other experiences. This certification demonstrates entry-level knowledge that includes debugging, problem-solving, and interpreting the API, creating and evaluating code, and navigating the Unity interface.
- UCU VR Developer Certification: This exam will test the candidate's ability to create VR experiences and programs within Unity software. The VR Developer certification can only be taken by individuals who have previously earned their Programmer certification.
- UCU Artist Certification: This exam covers the candidate’s 2D and 3D digital artistry within Unity. This certification demonstrates knowledge that includes managing the basic aspects of dealing with art assets, scene content design, and using tools within Unity to assist in experience creation.
Why use the Unity Certified User certification program?
The Unity Certified User certification is a result-driven way to ensure your curriculum aligns with industry and global standards. Plus, your students will be entering the workforce or college with certified skills in a dynamic and fast-growing field. With their knowledge and Unity skills, you’re positioning them as credible job candidates to employers with an industry-recognized credential.
What will my students learn from the Unity Certified User program?
Each Unity Certified User certification exam includes specific objective domains.
- Debugging, problem-solving, and interpreting the API
- Creating code
- Evaluating code
- Navigating the interface
UCU VR Developer
- Asset management
- Scene content design
- Lighting, cameras, and materials implementation
You can see the detailed requirements for each objective here.
How long will it take my students to work through the course?
Candidates for the Unity certification exams will be expected to have at least 150 hours of Unity training to obtain the certification.
Does the program include curriculum and practice tests?
Yes! Educators have many curriculum resources they can use to help prepare their students for their certification exams.
- Create with Code course: Because coding knowledge is a pre-requisite for the Unity Certified User certification, the Unity’s Create with Code course is a great place to start. Create with Code is a self-paced course designed for students to master the fundamentals of computer science and programming in C# over a series of projects. Students apply computer science fundamentals that they learn in the course along with learning project management skills as they make fun mini-games. Students also leverage their own creativity, as the course culminates with building their own personal game.
- Unity Certified User courseware: The Unity Certified User courseware, within GMetrix, provides a structured, self-study program that includes everything a student would need to tackle the Unity Certified User exams. Students will learn the Unity platform, C# programming and game development fundamentals by following the hands-on production of multiple working projects in both 2D and 3D including video-based modules, projects, challenges, and quizzes.
- Unity Learn: Unity Learn is a free learning platform and home to Unity’s award-winning learning materials with a collection of hundreds of free projects and tutorials. Educators can easily search for materials by topic, content type, and level of expertise.
Practice test resources are also available for purchase. CertPREP practice tests enhance learning through self-paced practice questions and build familiarity with the testing environment. The tests are customizable, allowing teachers to focus on what’s most relevant for their course or lesson.
Interested in learning more about the Unity Certified User certification program? Connect with a Certiport representative here.